MILITARY NURSING SERVICES
Beyond the Socially Designated Jobs
By: Pratyush Sahu
Are you a student in the medical field? Also, have dreams to wear the pride of the Indian Army? Then the solution to your dream is Military Nursing Services. A government-initiated program in the year 1888 as a part of Armed Forces Medical Services. These nurses have numerous responsibilities similar to a traditional nurse but are highly trained to handle the worst situations. Even they might have to work in the war zones and thus be trained as per the military standards. The aspirants have to undergo a 4 years nursing program called the Indian Army BSc Nursing course.
- Only female candidates (unmarried\ divorced\ legally separated\ widow without encumbrances)
- Age should be between 17 to 25 years
- The candidate should be an Indian citizen
- Height (148cm for Gorkhas and other candidates from hilly areas; 152cm for other categories)
- Candidates should not have a weight of less than 39kg.
- Candidates must be physically and mentally fit as per the standards of the Armed Forces.
- A candidate must be passed 10+2 in the first attempt from any recognized Board (State or Central).
- The 12th must be done with physics, Chemistry, Maths or Biology with a minimum of 50% marks
- Eyesight must be 6/6 with glasses or without glasses.
- Shouldn’t carry any genetic disease.
How to Apply:
In order to follow the selection procedure, the candidate has to first register himself as per the below-mentioned steps:
- Visit the official website https://joinindianarmy.nic.in/
- Click on MNS 2022 link
- The server would redirect you to the form page
- Register yourself, and then log in to your account
- Fill out the application form carefully and upload the required documents
- Click on the submit button.
- Candidates are required to pay ₹200/- to complete the process. They can pay through Debit cards, Credit cards, net banking, UPI etc.
- After successfully paying the registration fee, download the payment receipt for further reference.
- Also, keep a downloaded copy of your registration form.
The candidates applying for the Indian Army BSc Nursing Course are shortlisted based on their NEET (UG) scores and then called upon further for Computer Based Test, Psychological Assessment Test and interview. All these stages are classified under 3 phases:
- Written Examination (PHASE I)
- Personal Interview (PHASE II)
- Medical Examination (PHASE III)
The first phase is considered the toughest one to clear. This stage contains the NEET (UG) based on which the candidates are shortlisted. Results of the shortlisted candidates can be viewed on the official website https://joinindianarmy.nic.in/.
Further, the candidate has to appear for the Test of General Intelligence & General English (ToGlGE) which will be in the form of a Computer Based Test (CBT) consisting of 40 MCQs of two marks each for a maximum mark of 80. There will be negative marks of 0.5 for every incorrect answer. These 40 questions will be required to be answered in 30 mins.
Next would be a Psychological Assessment Test (PAT) which is a qualifying examination and the score will not be considered for preparing the final merit list.
To qualify for the above-mentioned tests the candidate needs to prepare a total of 5 subjects listed as follows:
- General English
- General Intelligence
The further classification of topics to be mastered by the candidate are listed as follows:
1) General English
- Synonyms/ Homonyms
- Spot the error
- Fill in the blanks
- Detecting Mis-spelt words
- Idioms and phrases
- One-word substitutions
- Shuffling of sentence parts
- Shuffling of Sentences in a passage
- Cloze passage
- Comprehension passage
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Genetics and evolution
- Human health and diseases
- Plant physiology
- Human physiology
- Biotechnology and its applications
- Biodiversity, ecology, and environment
- Laws of Motion & Work, Energy, and Power
- Properties of Matter
- Current Electricity
- Magnetic Effects of Electric Current
- Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Current
- Dual Nature of Radiation and Atomic Physics
- Nuclear Physics
- Semiconductor Devices and their Applications
- Atomic Structure
- p,d, and f – Block Elements
- Coordination Chemistry and Solid State Chemistry
- Thermodynamics, Chemical Equilibrium, and Chemical Kinetics
- Isomerism in Organic Compounds
- Alcohols and Ethers
- Carbonyl Compounds
- Carboxylic Acids and their derivatives
- Organic Nitrogen Compounds and Biomolecules
5) General Intelligence
- Number Series
- Space Visualization
- Decision Making
- Problem Solving
- Similarities and Differences
- Figure Classification
- Visual Memory
- Relationship Concepts
- Non-Verbal Series
- Arithmetical Computation
- Analytical Functions etc
The second phase of the interview is conducted to analyze the personality and aptitude of the candidate. The number of students selected for the second phase is 3 times the number of vacancies.
The third and the last phase is of medical examination which ensures that the candidate is fit as per the prescribed standards. And eventually, if you suit the standards and your name appears on the merit list that is based on the written and interview marks, then you have made your dreams come true.
Once the candidate aces the exam and gets selected for the Military Nursing Service, she would be trained for 4 years at the Indian Armed forces Medical Colleges that are situated in Pune, Kolkata, New Delhi, Lucknow, Mumbai, Bangalore, etc.
While the cadets are in training, they will be awarded some amount as a Stipend that could be around 17,000/- per month with free ration, stay and travel Allowances, etc. After the successful completion of the training, the cadet will be posted to the rank of Lieutenant in the Indian Army. On average, the salary of a -Lieutenant in the Indian Army is around 56,000/- per month.
Q1. Can we join MNS after BSc nursing?
Yes, one can apply for the MNS entry after the completion of the BSc in Nursing. After the BSc in Nursing, one can join the Indian Army as a Short Service Commission. For the selection, one will need to clear the Written Exam, Personal Interview, Medical Examination, etc.
Q2. How do I join the military nursing service?
In order to join the Military Nursing Service. One can apply for MNS Entry after the 12th. A candidate must have passed class 12th with PCMB. For the selection, one will need to appear for the Written Exam, a Personal Interview followed by Medical Exam.
Q3. How can I apply for MNS 2021?
Recently, an announcement has been made regarding the MNS 2021 Vacancy. The MNS 2021 Online application form will begin in the 3rd week of November 2021. All the candidates who are eligible can apply online through the official website of the Indian Army.