With almost a week left for the commencement of DU admission, the varsity is actively reweighing some of the changes that would, most likely, be implemented by the authorities. Earlier, as per the official notification, the onset of the application window for DU admission was postponed from April 15 to May 1. “We will, soon, come up with the revised schedule once we are ready with our changed policies and procedure”, shared Dean of Students’ Welfare Dr Rajeev Gupta.
This year, Delhi University will be introducing numerous changes in its admission procedure and methodologies, which can turn out to be nerve-wracking for some. Here are some of the few changes that the university will be making which should be kept in mind before getting ready for the DU Admission for the academic year 2019-20.
- This year will, most likely, see a hike in the registration fee of the university. The fee will, probably, increase from Rs. 150 to 250 for general categories. However, the candidates who belong to SC/ST/EWS/PwD will face an increase of Rs. 50, making them pay Rs. 200 for the application form.
- The university will also introduce a correction facility to be made in the application form, in a first. However, the university will be charging Rs. 100 for every change made in the application form.
- To restrain the high numbers of admission cancellations made by the aspirants looking for better courses and colleges, it is most likely that the university will increase the fee by 100% to Rs. 1000.
- The official website will also be launching an ‘Online Marks Calculator’ for the candidates which candidates can use to calculate their ‘Best of Four’ aggregate marks and know if they are eligible for the admission or not.
- The university is planning to introduce a 24*7 live display of the cutoffs and the vacant seats for every course and college on the students’ dashboard in their online portal.
- The university will make sure that the ECA and Sports admission will not exceed 10% of the total strength of the classroom.
- To make the admission process conclude early, the varsity has decided that the aspirants will get the chance to choose up to only 3 sub-categories of ECA and/or Sports. This will lead the task of auditioning each and every candidate easier and less time-consuming. The trail of ECA and Sports category admission will, most certainly, begin from May 20.
- The university will be raising 10% of seats for Economically Weaker Section (EWS). It is announced that the increment will be taking place in two phases: 10% in the first year and the remaining 15% in the next year. The decision (of reserving 10% for EWS) passed by the Human Resource Development (HRD) Ministry resulted in the university to come up with this announcement.
- During the process of changing of streams, the university used to deduct as much as 5% from the ‘Best of four’ marks of the candidates. This year, however, the deduction would be decreased by 3 points, which means, only 2% will be deducted from the candidates’ ‘Best of Four’ aggregate marks while changing the streams.
The Delhi University Academic Council (AC) is hoping that the whole procedure of DU Admission will be concluded before the commencement of the first semester. “We are trying to make the system student-friendly. These proposals will only lead to the system being more effective and systematic”, clarified Dr Rajeev Gupta.